Inclusion, Diversity, and Belonging
In September 2021, Tx:Team launched a formal Inclusion, Diversity, and Belonging (IDB) Initiative. This initiative came out of a question we asked our leadership team: how do our associates and patients experience Tx:Team?
Our mission is to provide everyone with the opportunity to live the healthiest life possible. Diversity of background, experience, identity, ethnicity, race, sexual identity and orientation, and perspective improves the creativity, innovation, quality, and effectiveness of the therapy we provide.
On October 28th and 29th, 2021, we convened a meeting of Tx:Team’s IDB workgroup comprised of associates from around the country and members of our home office, along with guests from the Indiana University Schools of Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy. Facilitated by Rob Shook and Bill Kirst, our workshop generated five specific initiatives that Tx:Team has adopted and will execute in 2022 and 2023:
- Develop an authentic and clearly articulated statement of Tx:Team’s IDB philosophy.
- Establish safe spaces for associates to be themselves, talk openly about key issues, and seek guidance from easily identifiable allies/mentors.
- Incorporate IDB into Tx:Team’s internal and external marketing and communication platforms and materials.
- Create a one-year fellowship for new Physical and Occupational Therapy, and Speech Language Pathology graduates with a specific focus on engaging therapists from groups that are historically underrepresented in our profession.
- Target groups in schools and organizations that are historically underrepresented in our industry and provide education, opportunities for shadowing, and other exposure to possible career paths in the rehab profession.
One of Tx:Team’s core identifying characteristics is authenticity, and we take this very seriously. Our intent was to clearly and publicly state who we are and what we believe, and then put those beliefs into action. To broaden our reach and better reflect the diversity found in our communities, we are creating opportunities for historically underrepresented groups to access the education, experience, and support necessary to join the therapy profession.
Tx:Team is a place for anyone with a passion for healing and a desire to change the world, and we are committed to fostering an environment where each associate can be included, valued, and seen. We want everyone who walks through our doors to feel safe and comfortable just being themselves.